Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happily Ever After

I don't normally write about movies here on my blog, but yesterday Ang and I took our little princesses to see Enchanted the movie. It's really been a while since any classic worthy material has been created by Disney. With the new age came new technology that made it easier to create and animate movies in a relatively short amount of time. In 2004 Disney closed their animation studios in Florida leaving more than 250 animators without work. Since then, I cant recall seeing a single "old fashioned" animated movie created by Disney. I could be wrong, remember I dont get out very often. Nonetheless, the creators of Enchanted found a rather brilliant way to incorporate good old fashioned animation with tangible warm blooded characters.




Enchanted
not only enchanted me with the pretty colors on the big screen, but more importantly fed my need for a romantic tale. I wont go too far into details but I definatly recommend anyone with a thirst for romance and happy endings see it. It's so easy for us to get caught up in the craziness of the world today and want to protect our feelings. We sorta put up this invisible barrier not wanting to grant anyone access to our hearts. Our fear of heartache and need for protection prevents us from falling into a G rated fairytale love.


One quote in particular stands out in my mind though. At one point the evil witch attempts to prevent the princess from marrying the prince and throws her into a dark hole where she tells her she's going to a place where there are no "happily ever afters". Can you guess where she ends up? New York City! From what I've observed she's right. A place where divorce rates are steadily climbing and infidelity is more common than monogamy, not just locally but internationally. While I should realize that this is reality, I cant help but hold on to the hope that their all wrong and my prince will come rescue me too.

No comments: